Safety Tip #6

Car Fire Safety

How to prevent a car fire

  • Have your car serviced regularly.
  • Never transport gas cans or propane cylinders in the passenger compartment.
  • Never park a car where flammables can touch the bottom of your car.
  • Danger signs include cracked or loose wiring, blown fuses, oil or fluid leaks and rapid changes in fluid levels or engine temperature.


How to Get a Burn Permit

For information on obtaining a burn permit, please visit the North Carolina Division of Forest Resources web site, or visit the District 11 Office, which is located on the East side of NC Hwy. 86, about 1 mile South of I-85 (District 11 serves 8 counties, including Durham and Orange Counties).

District 11 Office:

3314 NC Hwy 86 South
Hillsborough, NC 27278-8711
Voice: 919-732-8105
Fax: 919-732-4005


If you visit the web site and decide to request a burn permit online, you will be asked to review the air quality regulations related to outdoor burning. It is very important that you are aware that burning within 100 feet of an occupied dwelling is regulated by county authority (i.e., your fire department), not by the NCDFR.